My sessions are funny, entertaining, interactive and inspiring.
(They’re educational too, but don’t tell the kids that).
I love encouraging students to make their own stories and to enjoy the creative process.
I work with students from grades 1-12, and adults too.
*** NB I’m also available for online sessions. ***
I can do online sessions via Zoom, Skype, Google Meet – whatever service you’re comfortable with. These sessions work much the same as if I were there in person.
I can give talks about …
– my creative journey: how I became an author/illustrator
– the general process of writing/illustrating a picture book/graphic novel
– the making of one or more of my books
– picture book visual literacy
– graphic novel/comics visual literacy
– combinations of the above
I run workshops on …
– how to draw cartoons
– creating comics
– how to write/illustrate picture books
– secrets of character design
– how to make clay character maquettes
-digital illustration techniques
– combinations of the above
– making a collaborative picture book in a day (requires 5 school contact hours, 12-20 students max)
I also do …
– artist residencies
– literature festivals
– professional development sessions for teachers, artists and aspiring illustrators
If you’re after a different sort of talk or workshop, please get in touch.
“Thank you so much for coming to our school yesterday … everyone said that it was the best author visit that we have had. One child in particular who is considered at risk but has a passion for drawing, came straight back to class and couldn’t put his pencil down.” – teacher, Dianella Primary College
“The kids (and teachers) really, really enjoyed your visit. The BEST we have ever had!” – teacher, Collier Primary School
“Best Book Week session I have ever attended.”
– teacher attending Subiaco Library, Children’s Book Week
“James’ sessions were a stand out of this year’s Children’s Book Week and we can’t recommend him highly enough.”
– Caroline Jones, Youth Services Librarian, Kwinana Library
“Thank you for visiting us today and sharing your story. It was inspirational and hilarious!”
– Wesley College (Perth)
“James Foley came to speak to our school today. He was remarkable! It was very special to have him share his experiences with us. We think we will all remember for quite a while being able to draw with him.”
– Amanda, Bella, Charlie and Kate, grade 5
“Dear James, thank you so much for the incursion today, it was absolutely brilliant. The boys were very excited and totally captivated. I have never seen them draw so amazingly!”
– Kristen Gray, Year 1 teacher, Scotch College (Perth)
“James has been amazing. What an incredible talent. I would recommend him to any school.”
– Fiona Rowe, Junior School Librarian, Scotch College (Adelaide)
“Fantastic presentation – James was great and spoke to the children’s level and interest. Our students will definitely be inspired to draw and write stories. Extremely dynamic presenter.”
– teacher attending Cannington Library, Children’s Book Week
“Hi James, I just wanted to drop you a short line to reiterate our thanks for the great time had by my 8 yr old son while attending the recent creating comic books workshop he attended as part of the Awesome Festival. He came away enthused and full of motivation to draw, draw, draw! His constant doodles are now all aimed around trying to create a comic book and piles of paper are building up all over the house.”
Rates & Bookings
Please visit the bookings page for more information.